Thursday, December 10, 2009

Uh Oh...

When we moved in our front hallway wall had very stubborn wallpaper on it that only came off with a sander. After several coats of spackle the wall was smooth again and ready for paint. It took 3 coats of paint to cover up any signs of where the wall paper was. I was so excited to hang pictures on the wall and cross this off my to do list. After I finished the 3rd coat I noticed about 10 minutes after I finished that the wall was bumpy. I looked closer and realized that there were air bubbles. Weird, so, I popped the bubbles, sanded them down, spackled again and re-painted. I thought I was done...but I wasn't, the bubble re-appeared! So, I popped them again and soon realized that the paint never stuck to the dry wall! I could peal the paint off the wall in large strips, I just about cried because I was so mad! So, I peeled all the non-sticking paint off the wall, put a strip in a zip lock and headed to Lowe's. The paint people there were puzzled and mixed me up a new gallon of paint. Ben went back with a thicker spackel and smoothed out the wall, again. So, this weekend we will be painting the wall for probably the 5th time...let's hope the 5th time's the charm!

1 comment:

  1. My neighbor told me to use Zinsser Guardz over the walls after we scrap off all the wallpaper and glue because it seals in any extra glue that may be on the walls yet and prevents the bubbling effect. He said it works better than Kilz and he's the professional painter so I tend to take his word as gold! Sorry about the bubbles! I can relate to painting the same wall a million times, however, it was due to my poor color choices (in the apartment).

    ReplyDelete